Friday, July 24, 2009

Ruins of Windsor-Mississippi

Located between Natchez and Vicksburg Mississippi are the "Windsor Ruins." Personally, I had never heard of this place until a friend and native of Vicksburg introduced them to me. Located on a state highway off Highway 61 and near Alcorn State University one can find this magnificent relic of the past. As I drove down a small paved road and then turned onto a dirt "path" I wondered if I was about to go someplace I had no business going alone at 5:00 in the afternoon. As I rounded a bend in the "path" there stood these wonderful columns! Alone among the towering trees with dappled light coming through and the singing birds that seem to be everywhere in Mississippi, I could not believe what I was seeing. Today there are only the remaining columns of what was once a magnificent home. As the light began to change and the wind picked up, the columns took on new dimensions. I stayed on the sight, alone, for about 30 minutes trying to photograph every angle possible. This historic sight is so unlike anything I had seen in relation to old southern plantation type homes. If you are ever in Port Gibson, MS ("the town to beautiful to burn"), take some time to go to the Windsor Ruins. Here is more information :

1 comment:

  1. These are just amazing!! I might have to take my mom on this trip. She loves looking at all the old plantation homes and a side trip to see these beautiful columns would just be icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete