Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Polar Vortex vs. Spring in Texas

I realize that there are many things about the state in which I was born that are just hard to take. Our political leaders are truly one of a kind (thank God). We have issues with women's rights, gay rights, children's health care, and on and on and on. We have much to be grateful for: a booming economy, in most places. Great roads and highways, almost everywhere. A great accent when traveling to "Yankee" territory. That experience is akin to traveling to a foreign country where the natives just want to stand around and talk to you because you speak English. We are not Southern, but we are not western either.

However, the single one thing that we have 9 months of the year, is excellent weather! Spring in Texas is simply glorious...it is our time when people travel to see the wildflowers. This time of the year is akin to heading to the Northeast to see fall foliage.  Through out the state between March to the first of May, all kinds of wildflowers pop up. They pop up on the roadside, in the medians on the interstates, huge fields along the state roads, and they really do take one's breath away. It is my favorite time of the year because the sunroof can go back, windows down, and the air is clean.

Don't get me wrong...we have a version of a polar vortex....it is the last of June to mid-September.. Our vortex is called HINGES OF HELL because that is how hot it gets here. Nothing is more fun than to walk outside at 7 AM with 80 degrees and 700% humidity. I pity the people with curly hair...Then by noon, touching the exterior of one's car can call for a trip to the emergency clinic for burns. We are the air conditioning capital of the world and to the person who invented AC , you should be made a saint. Could someone call Pope Francis? I think I would rather be hot than frozen.  I am not sure there are enough layers to make me comfortable. I don't like hot...but once again...yea AC!!!

As I watch CNN at 4 AM, I will think about the Midwest, Northeast, and places in between. It is 25 this morning in Houston, but by noon it will be about 50 with sun. Maybe by then I can take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment