Friday, March 17, 2017

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, TOMBALL STYLE

In 1982, Hap Harrington, superintendent of schools for TISD, called Carlos Watkins to see if the Tomball High School cheerleaders could come observe one of the very famous CFHS pep rallies. Mr. Harrington, when principal of Klein High School, had seen the CFHS cheerleaders in action at a football game and was very impressed with the whole BFND atmosphere. On A Friday, eight cheerleaders and Kit Pfeiffer, an assistant principal, stood in the gym and witnessed a very typically packed gym going wild with school spirit. [and CFHS had a losing season] After the rally, she talked to me about the cheer program, what I taught, and CFHS’ BFND attitude. They left; I went to class. Into the spring semester, I received a phone call from Mr. Harrington who promptly reminded me that we were actually third cousins on Miss Dolly’s side. Tried to pull the family card; yes he did! He asked if I would come to Tomball to interview for a cheerleader coaching position. Yep! You heard correctly. Not a sponsor, but a coach. By this time, I had become a coach: I attended workshops; watched our coaches at CFHS in how they worked with their athletes, etc. I also had grown a bit bored teaching American History for 12 years and wanted a change in subject matter. It was evident that I was not going to move to another course, so off to Tomball HS I went. I had déjà vu all over again :O Out Telge Road (no houses, farm land, and turned on 2920 which had no businesses like you see today. There was the four corners where the same flag installation stands today. A Gibson’s store (non-existent today), turned left on 149—not 249. Turned at Sandy Lane and there is was. A small one story high school: compared to CFHS it was small.
I interviewed with John Neubauer and Hap Harrington. The entire conversation was how to build school spirit and an outstanding cheer program. I gave them my thoughts; we talked salary, facilities, and the last question was twofold: What classes would you like to teach? Can you start cheerleading work in June? I said senior government and yes. I walked out of THS stunned and by the time I got back home to Cypress, I had a bit of “buyer’s remorse.” I called Miss Dolly and she was apoplectic! Leaving a very secure teaching position to start over. She called Hap and I still don’t know what was said. But, she gave her blessing. I went to Mr. Watkins and explained what I had done. His hands were tied for there were no openings in either World History or government departments. I resigned my position, and signed a contract with TISD.
Many of you live in what I call the Tomball Greater Area which absolutely looks nothing like the Tomball Lesser Area of the 1980’s. There was “old” Tomball, the movers and shakers of the city. Down 149 to the South was the “new “Tomball who had moved into Lakewood, Gettysburg, Heatherwood, and other new subdivisions. There was nothing at all except mobile home sales places coming into the city. THS had approximately 700-800 students, one junior high, and maybe four elementaries. THS had a relatively new coaching staff headed by Coach Lynn Etheridge. New band director and new drill team director for the Cougar Charms. Hap’s plan was this: BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME. Let me explain
Hap was a visionary. The Willowbrook area, 149, etc. was about to explode due to the Compaq computer campus at Louetta and 149. It would become HP and is now Lonestar College, University Park. TISD would be “competing” for new students with CFISD which was setting a very high standard for school districts at the time. More people=more tax dollars=better schools, etc. He wanted TISD to be the best in the state.
His philosophy today might seem a little out there in these days of testing, accountability, state mandates, bureaucracies, etc. But then, those things really did not exist and it was still local districts controlled most of their destiny. The philosophy was:
Have a great athletic program that wins and gets attention from press.
Have a great band program.
Have a great drill team program.
Have a great cheer program
Have a great choir program, and on and on.
Fill the stadium on Friday nights and people will start wanting to move to TISD.
Realtors will start pushing the district.
Home builders will start looking at the land surrounding Tomball for future development.
Which equals what? Say it with me! More tax dollars, better schools.
As in CFHS I had a marvelous 12 years in Tomball. I got to finally teach Seniors and I had some of the greatest students in the world. My cheerleaders starting in 1982 to 1994 were some of the neatest, most hardworking athletic young women I worked with. They were two TOTALLY DIFFERENT experiences from which I grew as a teacher and a person interacting with others. I have many tales for Tomball as I do for CFHS. I had the honor of teaching at what I like to call the “MOTHER SHIPS” of school districts. No matter how many high schools are built the heart of a district always remains in the first. Take a look at Klein ISD. The mother ship: Klein High School. CFiSD: Cy-Fair High School. Tomball: Tomball High School.
I read where Hap passed away last year. If you went to THS in the 80’s, can you remember he was IN every pep rally, at every athletic event, or any event that involved THS students? My hope is to write about my experience of working in a “small, rural (at the time)” school district and the joys that come with that experience. Get ready! I have great stories. GO! COUGARS!




No comments:

Post a Comment