Monday, August 8, 2011

Sleep Until I Wake Up!

From the time I can remember, my life was centered around a clock. In the early part of my youth, my alarm clock was my grandmother, Miss Dolly. We started school "back in the day" at friendly to learning hours...that is about 8:45 a.m. Around 7, she would start with "Karen, get up." In about five minutes, 'Karen Twitchell, get up." In another five, "Charlz Karen Twitchell, do not make me come in there!" It was the world's first snooze alarm! All through out public school that was my daily routine. I really never got to sleep in on weekends because her business was in our house and we lived in a really small house. And, of course, Sundays were for church--twice. In college, I was a geek in that I did not miss class and always had to take early classes due to my obligations with marching and symphonic bands. And, then the fun began...40 years of setting my alarm to get up for work each and every morning.

I will never forget when Cy-Fair ISD moved the start time for high schools from 8:15 to 7:30 am. I thought about changing careers, seriously. However, the need to pay bills and survive combined with basic laziness prevented a change in careers. I can not explain how much I hated the morning alarm. I don't care if it was a traditional alarm, a pleasant little chime or buzz, or the blare of a radio station. It was still too "damn early." One would think that I had to get up and plow 400 acres with a mule. I would love to see a study based on people's attitudes towards mornings and late nights. For 40 long years, I was basically miserable from 5:30 am to about 9:30 am. And, I can NOT believe that I taught first period most of those years! Well, the kids didn't care, they were asleep too :)

Even though in my heart I knew I was a night owl, I had to go to bed at 9:30 ish each evening or be more evil the next morning. I really admire parents who have to get up with the kids at all un-godly hours. I probably would have been hauled off for child abuse had I tried to raise a child. And, so I continued to carry-on with my circadian clock forced into some arbitrary pattern. And, behold! Retirement came.

I have heard of us "old" folks getting up at the crack of dawn to go to the coffee shop, to read the paper, or whatever. However, I have to confess that NEVER since June 30, 2009 have I had that urge. I have no problem what so ever sleeping until the spirit moves me to get out of bed. 7:00 am comes and I simply don't care. My conscience is clear and my work ethic is just fine. I am not sure what to make of this, but I know I like it. I have stopped apologizing for my ability to stay in bed for as long as I want to. I have even purchased very high thread count sheets and new super duper pillows to make the experience even more decadent.

There are many things to like about retirement....but I am too busy luxuriating in 1000 thread count to count them right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment